Monday, June 12, 2006

Christina: marine apex predator

At 31 weeks, Christina's pregnancy has progressed to the point where she's like a shark: once she's on her feet, she has to keep moving, or she becomes extremely uncomfortable.

This shark metaphor extends into other areas of life, like going to the bookstore. I like to leisurely wander through the store, stopping for extended periods of time to examine the contents of a bookshelf. Christina, on the other hand, can't stand still, so she paces around, which in turn makes me feel like I'm in one of those Discovery channel programs that show sharks swimming around, coming close to the camera and showing their teeth, before moving on with a lazy flick of their tail ... and then circling back around again. After a few such circles yesterday, I snapped at her and told her that I felt like I was at the bookstore with a little child, and to knock it off. Without missing a beat, she responded "You are at the bookstore with a little child."

Touché. And a sign of things to come.

[In her defense, I was dawdling a bit, and we'd been walking for a while before we got to the bookstore :-)]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home