Sunday, April 23, 2006

A vexing question of nomenclature

As I've said before, labeling is important when doing lab work. This is true not just for chemicals, but also for cells -- it's much more convenient to have a short label referring to a particular kind of cell than to always have to say "The cells containing genes X and Y, but without genes A and B ...". The convention [or maybe just -a- convention] in the field of yeast biology when naming cell lines [aka "strains"] created by a particular researcher is to give them a label of the form xxY.### where xx are the researcher's initials, 'Y' denotes the fact that it's a yeast strain and ### is some number, like 123. [Some might argue that this somewhat dry naming scheme, much like the very staid practice of naming yeast genes with a three-letter abbreviation supposed to encode something about their function, reflects the fact that yeast biologists just aren't as much fun as those wild and crazy Drosophila people. But I digress.]

This convention is at the heart of my problem: if I follow it, all my yeast strains will be called ... AMY.

Beyond
the knee-jerk "Real Male Scientists (TM) don't create anything called 'Amy', they pick names like 'Crusher 11X' or 'BloodHammer 6' or 'RQZ2001.21' " reaction, this notion also disturbs me because I find myself coming up with anthropomorphic questions like:

- Am I creating a line of fembots, with model designations AMY001, AMY002 etc ? [Granted, they'll look much more like this than like that, but still ...]
- Will all the other AMYs be forever jealous of AMY001, because she was my first ?
- Will AMY007 be a yeast secret agent, mating somewhat indiscriminately and generally living a life of ill-repute ? On the plus side, that probably means she'll be impossible to kill ...
- Will AMY067 be a total b!tch, impossible to please, always dying or exhibiting weird behavior at the most incovenient times ?
- Will my cells, in general, be more fickle and inconstant than if they were called something more boring, like, say, RGY ?
- How will Christina take the news that I spend all my time at work with AMY ? Even worse, do I really want my son being told "Daddy can't spend any time with you right now because he's with that !@#$^$%@ AMY" ?

Some possible solutions I've come up with are:
- Buck the trend and put the 'Y' in front of my initials, so my strains will be called YAMxxx. Not great, but a little better.
- Use an initial from one of my middle names, which leads to the names KMYxxx or EMYxxx. Unfortunately, both of those still sound a lot like female names;
it's the "MY" part that's the problem and trading Amy for Kimmy or Emmy doesn't seem like a net win.
- Spell out the letters when talking about my strains ie refer to them as A-M-Y. The drawback here is that it doesn't work in print [and hopefully, at some point, something about my strains will be in print :-)]

... or I could just
accept that, in all likelihood, nobody other than me cares and resign myself to creating a numbered series of AMYs.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always go with last name first and may it MAY, or maybe reverse that and you could have yeastie YAM!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Jonah said...

No, no, you'll not be creating tiny women. You'll be creating tiny Presidents of Hell, each commanding thirty-six legions of demons!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

"Amy is depicted as a flaming fire, but will turn into a man after a time."

Not too shabby for a guy who teaches Astrology and liberal sciences.

I say run with it - you can always refer to this post if anyone gives you flack about your yeast. =)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home