Thursday, November 03, 2005

Internet-based file synchronization ? What a silly idea !

Microsoft buys FolderShare, a product that allows you to keep files synchronized across various computers, across the Internet, not just on your local network or behind your corporate firewall. I guess they figured that trying to build that functionality themselves would put them several years behind the curve. What I find ... ironic/infuriating about this is that I spent the last couple of years of my career at MS trying to get various teams to work together to build exactly this sort of functionality and failed miserably because [among other things] nobody thought it was important enough and there were too many squabbling cooks in the kitchen arguing about what to build and who should build it.

Apparently somebody finally pulled their head out of their @$$ recognized this actually was important and was willing to put their money where their mouth is. The fact that it wasn't anybody in the core Windows division [the org I was in] doesn't surprise me. I wonder how they're going to integrate this acquisition with the similar capabilities offered by Groove [also purchased by MS in the last year] and other content distribution technologies that are being cooked up inside MS.

Better late than never, I guess. At least it's not my problem anymore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Tozier said...

Organizations think more slowly than people do.

Sometimes I think it's our only defense.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well man ! Get a life !
If you was so smart - why you have not created application like this one ? Or the only way for you was to hide under Microsoft logo / PR machine ?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Son1 said...

Alex, are you seriously already collecting trolls? Weeeeeeeird.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Osh said...

I hear your frustration and remember my Windows days. I think they would be much more productive with about half the staff. Do half the features, but do them better and pick the ones that really matter.

Also re: not surprised it wasn't the Windows org, I'm with you on that. A lot of the forward thinking and risk-taking seems to be coming out of the MSN / Live org these days.

I'm hoping Ray Ozzie as CTO will make a real difference.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home