Friday, April 08, 2005

N.S.F

As I said a while ago, I applied for a Graduate Fellowship from the NSF, the National Science Foundation. I finally heard back from them today and I was awarded an N.S.F -- No. Such. Fellowship. Apparently, the winning arguments I described earlier weren't so winning. Instead, I got an "Honorable Mention".

That Honorable Mention bit is actually mostly what chaps my hide about the outcome of this. Last year, about 2000 people were awarded Honorable Mentions, which makes me have my doubts about the veracity of the NSF's claim that the Honorable Mention is awarded to "meritorious applicants who do not receive fellowship awards. Honorable Mention is considered a significant academic achievement nationwide". Granted, I don't know how many people applied, but, still, being one of 2000 isn't something that makes me feel particularly special. I feel it's kind of like being slapped on the ass and being told "Nice try, tiger, you'll get 'em next time. Now run along and play". And while I can review my "ratings sheets" [ie what the various reviewers thought of my application], they won't be available until May 2nd, so I'm left to steam for another month until I get an idea about which bits of my application didn't make the cut.

Oh, and as part of that Honorable Mention I get to request computer time at an NSF supported Supercomputer Center. Yippee-kayee, computer time, just what I wanted for Christmas !

Grrr. Mongo no happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

That sucks, Mongo. I'll be interested to hear why you, of all people, were denied and put on the "honorable list of everyone that applied that didn't get it".

Lottery comes Wednesday. I'll at least hook you up with a track bike while you're in school. We'll go tear up Loudon or something fun.

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home