Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Small bits, totally unjoined

Random stuff that's been floating around in my head:

Ah-nuhld: I think Arnold Schwarzenegger's life is, in many ways, a fairy tale. The man won 5 Mr.Universe and 7 Mr.Olympia titles, came to the US with little more than the [admittedly very large] muscles on his back, became a major action movie star, married a Kennedy and then ended up as the governor of California ... not your run-of-the-mill life, exactly. Of course, there are also some not-so-shiny parts about him [as described here]. In any case, it's the marrying-a-Kennedy bit that got me to thinking. In general, I think it's fair to say that being a Kennedy, or marrying one, increases your chances of you and/or your spouse meeting with an unfortunate accident by a factor of about, oh, 230 billion. Roughly speaking. [There's actually a book about this.]

Here's the thing, though: if ever there was a man able to withstand the Kennedy Curse, it's Arnold. The man has had to fight aliens, destroy a couple later-model killer androids, fight Batman [ok, fine, he lost that fight], been exposed to vacuum on Mars, defeat evil sorcerers ... and that's not even mentioning all the times he's had to deal with "normal" ordnance ie run-of-the-mill guns, rockets, knives etc. In short, the man is indestructible. Bring it on, Kennedys !

Los pantalones del gato con queso: We've acquired a new cat. He's a stray that Christina has been feeding for a while now and that we've been unable to find a home for. Christina has been pushing for us to adopt him for a while, but I was resistant on the grounds that having 2 cats is fine, but once you get to 3, you're in danger of becoming a crazy cat person, the type that ends up on "Animal Cops" because there are 200 cats living in your house etc. In any case, I finally gave in to the badgering and we've adopted him.

I now have the "honor" of naming him and I'm trying to figure out what moniker to give him. The tricky thing about naming an animal is that there are really very few boundaries -- it's not like you have to worry about the cat not liking the name, or getting teased at school. And that lack of restrictions is somewhat problematic because I find myself coming up with increasingly ridiculous names. The short list so far is:

- "Pantalones": this comes from my predilection towards nonsense Spanish sentences [like the one above], which tend to be permutations of the Spanish words for "cat","milk", "cheese", "pants" and "red", mainly because those are pretty much my entire Spanish vocabulary. In any case, for some reason I think calling a cat "Pantalones" would be funny.
- "Three": this is how we referred to him while he was still a stray, as in "Cat Number Three".
- P.Kitty: fairly self-explanatory, I think.
- Sandeep: hey, why not ? See what I mean about lack of boundaries ?
- Luscious: this one is kind of hard to explain. You'd have to see the "Krazyee-Eyez Killa" episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" to even begin to understand.
- Raekwon: another entry from the "Hey, why not ?" line of reasoning.

CSBi Demographics: The 4 CSBi students [including me] that make up the entire first year of the CSB program have a somewhat unusual demographic for a science/engineering program in that I'm the only male, and I'm black. When I first heard about this, I made a joke along the lines of "Hmm, I guess they're covering their diversity basis for a few years with the first set of students they admit", not because I think any of us are underqualified for the program, but just because the demographics seemed rather odd.

I've now had the chance to meet the CSBi interviewees for the next year and, well, the numbers are a bit more "normal": of 12-14 people, there are 2 women and of the men, 80% or so are white males.
Not that I think that my tongue-in-cheek remark is totally true, but it did make me chuckle a bit.

And, as final bit, here's a quote I found rather funny, encountered while googling the title of this post: "XML is like violence -- if it doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it", courtesy of whump.com.


3 Comments:

Anonymous B Watson said...

You know why Arnold married Shriver? It's all part of a plan to make a bullet proof Kennedy.

Go with Raekwon.

11:37 AM  
Blogger KofieMallet said...

yo - this is funny shit...i'd have to put in my vote for pantalones though...

4:30 PM  
Blogger KofieMallet said...

yo - this is funny shit...i'd have to put in my vote for pantalones though...

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home