Thursday, March 03, 2005

A proposed nomenclature change

One of the less fun parts of being in a management role [for me at least] was that I always had to try to put a positive spin on things that, in a frank discussion with friends, I would probably have characterized as "sucking", for lack of a better word. One of my favorite [sarcastic] remarks was this attempted Jedi mind trick phrase: "It's not a problem, it's an opportunity". Or, as Uncle Max reminds us, a "probortunity". [How appropriate that Uncle Max is a monkey.]

In keeping with this, I would like to propose a nomenclature change: problem sets at MIT should no longer be called problem sets. Rather, they should be called opportunity sets. And MIT would thus truly be the land of opportunity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Son1 said...

I hope it's not your 6.874 problem set that's a "probortunity."

9:25 AM  
Blogger Bill Tozier said...

You know, "opportunity set" is a great phrase which might be from the Kauffman corpus. I think Stu uses it to describe alternative future paths that crystallize into... something or other.

Which makes it even better for homework.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home