Friday, March 04, 2005

Keeping the restroom assembly line rolling

The NY Times has a story about the increasing pressure in some quarters for gender-neutral restrooms, to make life easier for transgendered individuals. While I have no objection to this in principle, I do have a slightly tongue-in-cheek objection in practice: I really like the fact that the line for men's restrooms moves much more quickly, and is much shorter, than that for women's restrooms. If, in the process of "de-gendering" bathrooms, you take away the urinals and men-only restrictions that allow the higher "throughput" in men's restrooms, well, then we'd all have to wait in line a long time and I'm against that. 'Coz when I gotta go, I gotta go ;-)

[I actually remember reading something in the New Scientist years ago about a study that claimed/showed that women take some factor of time X longer in public restrooms than men, leading to a queue for women's restrooms that's X-squared as long as that for men's restrooms. Can't find that article anywhere online, though.]

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

My Dear, Worry not about the science behind our lines because it's really quite simple. The reasons women take longer are 1) we are equipped differently and therefore must undo more to do our business, and 2) our desire to leave the restroom presentable takes a little extra care and time. I'm sure if we took to standing up we could go as fast as you all and also make as big of mess as I know many men’s' rooms are, but hey, at least the line would be shorter. For the record, we don't want to share a bathroom with you guys either. :)

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Bill Tozier said...

Ah, Christina. ...our desire to leave the restroom presentable...A grim look of disgust on Barbara's face when she exits the ladies' room is enough to warn me that I am about to hear a rant on "women who hover a foot above the seat to pee and then don't bother to clean it up", &c &c.

Not entirely sure if we move in similar circles. Perhaps the women's bathrooms you frequent are kept in better shape than the ones we encounter....

10:53 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ah, you saw through my, pardon the pun, crap. :)

Yes, women's restrooms are, more often then not, gross and we can't really take the high road on this one.

Once I encountered some bathroom graffiti--messy words for messy women--that read "If you sprinkle while you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie." Kinda corney but it stuck

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home