Friday, March 11, 2005

Bam ! Kapow ! Splat !

I've always been a bit of a comic book fan. Over the last few months, I've managed to get through a lot of the "mainstream classics", like The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, The Phoenix Saga, World Without A Superman, Return of Superman etc. [It's a bit embarrassing to put comics on your Christmas wish list when you're an adult, but I did it anyway =)].

I'm now moving a bit further afield and have started reading Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series. I've gotten through the first two volumes and have to say that a) they kick ass and b) Neil Gaiman has a pretty twisted imagination -- the "24 Hours" story in "Preludes and Nocturnes" is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. I've also started reading "Maus", which deals with the Holocaust, based on the stories of a survivor -- the Jews are mice, the Nazis are cats.

So, if you're ever wondering what to get me for a birthday/Christmas present, comics are a good bet, hint, hint ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Son1 said...

I assume you're looking forward to the Frank Miller-inspired movie Sin City too, right?

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Bill Tozier said...

You think the first two Sandman books are something? Heh. You haven't even gotten close to the ones that won the awards. And do not miss the fact that the whole thing is one story. Details you see now will become important in six or seven books....

And by the way also go read Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan. Do not hold back. Buy the whole thing. Every one. Read them all. Do it. Read them. Now. Go.

I'll wait.

Do you have them yet? What? Hell! Go!

Do I sound like I'm advising you? GO.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home