Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The worlds needs Terry Tate

One of the things that Christina and I have noticed a lot more now that we don't use the safe cocoon of our own car to get places is how insanely clued-out kids are. About 90% of them have absolutely zero manners and are just annoying as hell, especially when you're confined in a subway car with them -- yelling, throwing stuff, running around and being generally obnoxious. Maybe I'm getting old before my time, complaining about "the youth of today" and how the world is going to hell in a handbasket, but given the slice of kids that I've been exposed to, it is going to hell in a handbasket.

Anyways, instead of just bitching about it I've started to actually call kids on their sh!t. Doing so has just confirmed my impression that there's a serious lack of upbringing. Case in point: a teenage boy and girl got on the subway today and started eating candy and just blithely dropping the wrappers on the floor, like it was the most natural thing in the world to do. After they did it a couple of times, I leaned over and asked what they were thinking. The first response was utter shock that somebody would actually call them to task for acting stupid -- they asked me whether I was serious. Once they established that I was, they reacted by giving the usual flippant answers that people give when they're embarrassed. While they didn't pick up the stuff they'd dropped [something I asked them to do], at least they didn't drop any more stuff on the floor. Minor victory.

Sometimes, it sure would be nice to be able to go "Terry Tate, Manners Linebacker" on people ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home