Friday, August 27, 2004

Party with the future CEOs of America

A friend of mine from Ghana, Kojo Dufu, is starting Sloan, MIT's business school, so we've been hanging out a bit. He's been forwarding me all the invitations to events being organized by the incoming Sloan folks and I am frankly amazed: these people are partying really hard. I'd always heard that a lot of B-school was about building up a social network etc but I'd never seen it quite so vividly demonstrated. They've basically been going out every single night for the past week and the pace shows no sign of slacking. I guess that's what you get when you put 350 socially outgoing overachievers into a class together and tell them to get friendly. I do suspect that festivities will come to a screeching halt once classes really start, though, since the first semester of B-school is supposed to be a ridiculous amount of work.

Christina and I went to one of their events yesterday, to a nightclub/lounge in Boston called Caprice and I was very much reminded of freshman year of college. Everybody was positively quivering with eagerness to meet everybody else and run through the "What's your name ? Where are you from ? What'd you do before you came here ? What do you want to do when you get out ?" line of questioning. While this made for a really friendly atmosphere, it did get a bit tiring after a while; as Christina put it, as a non-Sloanie, eventually you just want to say something like "Look, I'm nobody important, I don't even attend Sloan, you don't have to meet me or be nice to me, now run along and go meet somebody else who's as excited as you". She also called them "eager beavers", which is very appropriate, given that MIT's mascot is the beaver [because the beaver is "nature's engineer". Talk about a mascot that lends itself to abuse ...].

All that said, we did meet a couple of nice people, always important in a new city, and I'm sure we'll end up going to more of these events, especially given that my incoming class consists of 4 people [counting me], and so there's a limit to how social we can get.

3 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

Crikey.. 350 mini-Brandons. The tolerance-fu is strong in you! =)

//C

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, now we are taking shots at me through a blog? That's cold man...very very cold. Suckas!!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was trying to find Kojo - I used to work with him at U S West back in '96 when he was an intern. Do you have his contact info? Mine is elizabeth_ohern@yahoo.com. Thanks!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home