Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Opportunity lost ...

Do you ever think of the perfect comeback a split second after you've issued a lame riposte ? If you don't, well, you're special. Me, I'm not that special -- I had the chance to really confound somebody yesterday and missed it, and I'm still kicking myself. Here is what should have happened:

[Phone rings]
Me: Hello ?
(Spanish-speaking) Caller: Hola, Blanca ?
Me: No, negro
Caller: [confused silence]

Here is what did happen:

[Phone rings]
Me: Hello ?
(Spanish-speaking) Caller: Hola, Blanca ?
Me: Uhm, I think you have the wrong number
Caller: Oh, sorry.
[Caller hangs up]
[I think of the "No, negro" comeback 1.52 seconds too late]

*Sigh* Such opportunities are so rare, you gotta seize them when they happen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Alex, as your former HR partner...I taught you better! Thank you for not being so quick on your feet...see ya!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home